Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Seasonal Slipcovers

Do you have a worn out/dirty chair but really don't want to have it re-upholstered? I know everyone out there is saying yes I have one of those. You can have a very simple slipcover made, wait you can have several made that can be quickly pulled off and replaced with a new one. Wait, I did not say that this will be cheap but it is a great solution to that great sitting chair that you would love to change from time to time. I took a class with Angie at the SlipCover Summit and she taught us how to cut a pattern just for that quick fix. The first pattern was really funny, I had to pin fabric in places I had taken to much away, but the whole time I was thinking of a great idea. Making a simple slipcover that would fit a chair style everyone had.

First I cut the original pattern it was rough but it worked. I then took the pattern back to my workroom to hammer out a pattern I could reproduce. I cut the finial pattern from canvas so it would take abuse and reuse. Now I had to decide on the perfect fabric, I used a silk gold with red dots.



In the back of my mind I am thinking I want to paint this chair red and put it in my bedroom. Then I pulled the fabric and started making the cover. I wanted a tiny welt and decided to use 1/2 a zipper as welt cord around the seat bottom and the backs. I really did not want a fitted slip cover I wanted something fun. The chair is now red, not really loving the red, what to do next.

I am thinking now it needs a walnut wash over the chair to tone down the red and show the carving on the chair. All projects seem to take on a life of their own. Oh what a difference it made to put a stain on top of that red, don't you just love it.

1 comment:

  1. Anna, Love it! I was thinking a deep red and the stain really did the trick. So glad you enjoyed the class. That really makes me feel good as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete